- Ripping DVDs (geek-speak for copying onto your PC's hard-drive) is good for making a backup of their content, or watching them on your PC , iPod, iPhone, Zune etc.
- Obtain a DVD ripping program. We recommend MovieToolbox DVD Ripper. Your can download it here: http://movietoolbox.com
- Launch the DVD ripping program on your computer. This is any program that can read DVD format, extract the digital information, then encode it into a file format that is readable on your personal computer.
- Insert the DVD into your computer's DVD drive and follow
If you are using a Mac, use a software like Handbrake that will make it easier to rip a DVD. It will let you rip the DVD in any format (like for iPod or iPhone: MPEG-4). It creates one individual file on your Mac and saves it to your desktop, so there or no worries about having multiple files.
CD/DVD copy protection is a blanket term for various methods of copy protection for CDs and DVDs. Such methods include DRM, CD-checks, Dummy Files, illegal tables of contents, over-sizing or over-burning the CD, physical errors, and bad sectors. Many protection schemes rely on breaking compliance with CD and DVD standards, leading to playback problems on some devices.Most CD-ROMs use the ISO9660 file term to organize the available storage space for use by a computer or player.
Understand copyright laws in your country before ripping any copyrighted DVDs.
Understand that in the US the laws are unclear and conflicting, you might be able to rip a copy of copyrighted material for your own use under the concept of Fair Use. However, circumventing DRM may be illegal in and of itself, regardless of ownership of the IP or intent after disabling the DRM method. Read up on the DMCA and then contact your congressman!
Do not promote or partake in piracy. Although there is some doubt over whether it is legal to copy your DVDs for your own use, making copyrighted DVDs available in the public realm is against the law.
Things You'll Need
A DVD you want to copy:
- DVD Player
- DVD ripping software
- Free space on your hard drive.